Thursday 17 January 2013

Research/Planning: Photography Ideas





















                                                     -Using a female model-
    I have decided that I will use a female artist for my front cover. This is because I feel one of my friends will be able to suit the genre nicely, also females have been used on Rock/Metal magazines in the past as the examples apove show. I have looked at these and other examples for inspiration for my photo shoot, and researching this area has been beneficial as I can look at what colours to use, editing styles and make up/clothing. Using a female on my cover is also challenging of the 'rock' magazine stereotype, as the majority of covers do in fact feature male artists. This is because the majority of artists in this genre are male, but I don't think this will make my magazine look any less authentic. In fact I believe it'll make CLASH look unique, whilst still fitting into the Rock/Metal genre stereotype.
                                                                  - Styling-
    Looking at these examples also gave me inspiration for how I will style my model, as most of the photos show a correspondence in apparel, makeup and hair style. In three out of the four photos, the model is wearing black in combination with heavy makeup and big messy hair. The black lipstick in the photo for the magazine 'Metal Edge' appeals to me and I will contemplate including this on my model's style as I think it's very eye catching. The only photo in these examples that stands out from this pattern of dark clothing and make up is the second 'Kerrang' cover (bottom left) as this features a model in bright clothing with well styled hair and pink lipstick, this is a nice challenge of the stereotype conveyed from the other examples. This styling also creates a juxtaposition in colour against the whites, reds and blacks of the cover lines, but I believe the reason for this particular choice of look could be because of the artist's hair colour and reputation in the industry in relation to the music she plays. As we can see the two other artists featured in the other two pictures have black or white blonde hair, which corresponds nicely with the black in their outfits. This model however has ginger hair, and so colours and styles that are used in the picture compliment this look more. In relation to communicating the artist's style of music too, the model from the second 'Kerrang' cover is a member of a pop punk band, where as the two females from the other examples play a genre of rock music that is a little more 'heavy.' This again reinforces how broad and diverse the genre of rock music is.
Examples of this:

(Paramore - Female from bottom left)

Colours and styling in this video also reflect these ideas around the band's genre, things are bright and playful.



(Evanescence - Female from top left and bottom right)


(The Pretty Reckless - Female from top right)

In these two examples the two band's genre of music is again reflected in dark imagery and styling.
These videos reinforce how an artist's music style will be communicated consistently in different media texts through clothing, hair and makeup. Therefore this is an important element to think about when photographing a music artist.

                                              - Positioning and expression -
   One thing that adds to the 'fierce' and 'violent' themes in the rock genre that I have expressed is essential in contributing to the genre is the positioning and expression of the models. Despite the model in the second 'Kerrang' cover's styling not communicating these ideas, her posing does as she is 'punching' at the camera. In the Pretty Reckless Kerrang poster the model is pulling a fiece face as she looks directly at the camera with a slight frown, the Metal Edge cover is similar to this however a smirk is added (and this facial expression is again evident in the first Kerrang cover, but with more of a smile). These are all effective ways of communicating the common Rock genre ideoleogies I have discussed, along with making the artist look intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment