Friday 25 January 2013

Research/Planning: Why Did I Choose This Genre?

     I have decided to make a music magazine that focuses on the genre of Rock music, I understand this genre on a personal level and am very interested in it. I believe it's fascinating how this genre has been so influential in politics, fashion and art and so think that these interests that I invest personally into the project will benefit my outcomes.

Why is this appropriate?

   I have decided to market a product similar to Kerrang! as I believe it is the only product on the market available for it's target audience. By this, I mean Kerrang! covers Rock as a broad genre, including multiple sub genres, where as say Q also covers pop music and associates itself with mostly alternative rock, and Metal Hammer communicates directly with the other end of the spectrum with heavier sub genres such as metal and 'screamo' bands. Therefore, producing another product that corresponds with Kerrang!s intentions would be an appropriate decision, as it will give the common target audience more choice when buying a music magazine that they are interested in.

    This could be a rival magazine, and as Kerrang! sells conventionally at £2.20 I will make my music product cheaper, at under £2.00. This will be achievable by making sure my magazine does not have too many pages, and so will be cheaper to produce and therefore distribute. Kerrang! conventionally has around 63 pages per issue, so I'll keep this in mind when planning my magazine further.

    The audiences interested in rock music need more media text choices in the industry, as rock is a minority genre of popularity it has limited products dedicated to them. It's obvious that popular mainstream music is the most commonly listened too, proof here with the top ten downloaded singles from 2013, which are all from the pop genre:




 

     Because rock is a minority in the music industry, it does seem appropriate to also have a minority of products produced especially for them. However, because we have established how broad and diverse the genre has proven to be in relation to the multiple sub genres it has created, it can be argued that we do in fact need more material on the music magazine market to satisfy the corresponding wide spectrum of interested buyers.

No comments:

Post a Comment