Wednesday 20 March 2013

Production: Cover Page Draft

This is a screen grab from the production of my front cover page. At this point in the creation, I had fully edited the colour and contrast the fundamental main image, and had now added the masthead, some cover-lines and more images.

The masthead was created using a font creater website, I wrote my magazine's name: 'CLASH' into the font generator, then I print screened the outcome, in order to import the image onto my media text. This came with some complications, as originally the design had a white background and black text. I had decided I wanted to reverse this colour scheme, as I felt this way was more visually pleasing and also this worked to my advantage when comparing the text with my model. This was because I decided to keep the two images blocked, and not merge the model over the text (contrary to this convention of magazine cover pages) as my models hand would have covered too much of the text and her black hair against black text would have made the masthead less eye catching. I also like the fact I kept the blocked imagery, it creates a parallel with the main images colour scheme on white on black and devides the page up to make it look more interesting.

Here are examples of the magazine 'Kerrang' that has also used their masthead blocked:








 
The cover lines I had included at this point where the some in to a tour and the main cover line relating to my magazine's main feature. For the main feature cover line I used colours red and white, and used three different 'sections' to the text, coded by colour. The red 'section' was placed in the middle to highlight the point of the feature, which is the band 'Deadrunners.' Then, because my feature is an interview with one of the band members I included a quote in the first 'white section' which I placed above the 'red,' reading 'I get crazy when I'm on stage.' Using a quote from the interview will intrigue readers to want to read more and purchase the magazine. Then lastly, in the second 'white section' reads 'Felicity State's wild side' this confirms that the interview will be with a singular member of the band, and also expands on the first 'white section' of the cover line that tells us the musician becomes passionate (or 'wild') on stage. I also added a black border to every font used on my cover lines, mostly black, to make them stand out more. This also reinforces one of the fundamental colour themes I chose. For the main cover lines and the main 'sections' of the other cover lines (the band's name) I also used fonts from the font generator in order for them to grab the viewers attention. Using a variety of colours also contributed to this.

In relation to the added images, I decided to add some of the photographs I have taken at festivals to feature as posters for the readers to rip out of the magazine and use on their walls. Free posters is the most frequent free gift featured in rock merchandise, along with sample EP's and records. I felt this was something that made CLASH a little more authentic, and relates directly to the target audience as it is known that teenagers like to hang posters on their walls. I did this by importing the images and then adding the black border in order for them to look consistent with the visual themes of the rest of the page. Another image I had imported onto the page was the bar-code on the bottom right, this was to add further authenticity, along with the magazines date issue and price.

When I complete my first draft, I will post a full step by step creation process for my front cover, as I have been frequently screen grabbing the outcomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment